life

for grandma

February 06, 2016


My grandma was an extremely strong woman. I know that is the cheesy thing we all seem to say about the women in our life to the point where people don’t really know what the means anymore, but I suppose I mean it. My grandma did just about everything and excelled in each thing she did. She was a tiny little woman but she beamed confidence and joy. 

In her younger years, she was a lady of the stage, starring in countless musical and play productions. Every time she moved to a new house I found more scripts and playbills from all the shows she took part in. Seeing pictures of her from these productions it’s easy to see how much she loved being up there on the stage. This is one of the more interesting things I learned from my grandma because I was naturally drawn to the stage and I really think that was because of her.

She was a lady of pure feminine style. Retail was where she seemed to thrive. She knew what a woman needed to do to look her best and was never afraid to give an honest opinion when it came to styling. My grandma would never think to leave her room without looking put together. She had the feminine class that every woman should look up to. Following the rules of three points in a single outfit and avoiding busy looks. Her perfect style advice is something I will always hold onto. 

Faith was of the utmost importance to grandma. She was a professing catholic woman, never missing mass. Her love for God overflowed into all those around her, showing real love and grace to all of us grandchildren. Her dedication to her faith was inspiring. Being a Christian I find so much peace knowing that she had that close relationship with Christ and was allowed into his kingdom. 

Grandma was, of course, first a mother and I am sure this was one of her most challenging roles, but she did it all with so much patience. She had three children, my aunt, uncle, and father. Her first born child being this beautiful, talented, smart girl who I’m sure she was so excited to raise as the little princess she dreamed of. And then she had her two little boys. Kooky jokesters, much like their father, with so many creative ambitions. Both aspiring to be musicians early on, taking over the house with all their instruments and equipment, but she supported them in every way that she could, knowing how important this part of their lives were. The boys would always have neighborhood friends over playing music and making silly little home films, and grandma was like a mom to every single one of them. When the kids were just beginning high school, her husband left her and she amazingly raised these kids all on her own. I honestly don’t know how she did it, but she did a great job because they all seemed to turn out to be awesome parents and role models as well. 

I’m writing about my grandma because she recently passed away on January 22nd, 2016. My grandma was diagnosed with Parkinson’s a long time ago and she fought that battle with the same grace she did everything else in her life. I was lucky enough to have her so close to home for a larger part of my life. 

She lived on her own in Seal beach for a while and our trips down there to visit her were always a highlight. I will always remember playing with all the old toys she kept for us to keep busy when at the house and our walks together down to the beach or main street looking at the shell shop. I remember going to tea houses with her, dressing up and having a proper tea with all the fun little sandwiches and cookies. Walking down to Ruby’s on the pier because it always seems to taste better down there. Her days living down in Seal Beach will always be my fondest memories of my grandma because of how happy and energized she was while there. 

When she got to the point where she could no longer live on her own she moved over to a home about ten minutes from where we live. This just meant we got to go visit grandma more often, seeing her at least once a week with family and sometimes I even got to go spend time with her alone. We would watch movies and play board games with some of the other ladies that lived in the building. It was different but good for her. During this time is when I started learning more about her past and how much of myself I saw in my grandma without knowing it for all these years. I thought I was the odd family member pursuing theater and fashion up until I discovered that is exactly what my grandma found her passions in. I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could to connect and learn more about her. 

I didn’t get much of a chance because very soon after, my aunt decided the best thing for grandma was to move her out to Nashville to be with her so she could be her personal doctor. My grandma lived there for her last four years of life. Being so far away, I was only able to go out and see her once within those four years. Grandma had a lot of struggles out in Nashville, but she continued to fight and outlived what everyone was telling her by years. 

Even after her passing, I feel like I’m still learning more and more about her life. Hearing stories from her siblings about their childhood together, learning new things from my aunt and uncle, and from all the things she saved throughout her life. I wish I had more time to have learned these things from her, but they are the treasures she left behind so her memory will live on and continue to grow.

I love my grandma so much and I know she’s having a great time hanging out with Jesus now, Parkinson's free. 




Julia Carrington

You Might Also Like

0 comments