diy

My DIY Dorm

September 03, 2014


This week I moved out. Time to go live off on my own and live my little college life.
With that comes the dorm room. That tiny little space to live in for a year with a complete stranger.
Now being me I took it upon myself to make my tiny half of a room as comfortable and homey as I could. I did my best to make my room show my style and I think I did a pretty dam good job at it.
I have a little collection of new, vintage, and diy things all put together to make my little space so I thought I'd go through and share it all with you!

1:: I put two cork squares on the wall inside my closet to hang my necklaces and earrings. Here's a little bit of a better photo of that.
2:: More jewelry storage yay! I bought the bunny ring holder here and got a little glass heart container as gift which I use to hold all my stud earrings. I also have a little vintage bowl to put all of my bracelets in as well.
3:: My lovely caboodle <3 If you don't know what that is, it's a box with lots of sections to store make-up. If you're interested as to what is inside let me know and I'll do a beauty post on it
4:: I always leave out one lotion and a spray that doesn't clash with it for connivence 

1:: ID Storage bins from target to store the little things on the top shelf
2:: My extensive amount of clothing on my handmade "Brandy Melvil" style hangers. I bought wire hangers from the 99¢ store and wrapped each in scrap fabric, hot gluing it on, and tied a bow to give it a finished look. I'm so happy with how these turned out.

1:: Super cute laundry basket from ModCloth
2:: Boot Collection 
3:: Cleaning supplies

1:: String of bulb lights from target
2:: Bath robe from Macys
3:: DIY globe light: Super simple project. I found an old globe and took it off of its stand, broke it into two halves(I got lucky and dropped it on the ground and it kind of cracked like an egg), spray paint the inside white(heat friendly spray paint), drill a hole in the top, get a hanging light set like this one here, instal the light, and add a trim to give it a finished look.
4:: Found an old mirror and spray painted it a fun color
5:: Mixed fan art of the things I love
6:: DIY bunting: Just a strand of yard and strips of quilting squares tied on
7:: Magnetic chalk board from target
8:: Picture frame from ikea
9:: Stuffed animals from home for comfort
10:: Mixed vintage sheet set
1:: DIY fitted sheet: let me know if you want a directions post in the comments
2:: Vintage sheet from etsy
3:: DIY comforter: let me know if you want a directions post in the comments

1:: A bulletin board that is always a work in progress
2:: Left side of the desk
1:: "Pixar" lamp from Target
2:: Power strip from Quirky
3:: Little table top mirror
4:: Mixed jars for pen storage
3:: Right side of the desk 
1:: Electronic photo frame. This is a must, I got it as a gift, but it is super helpful so you can get all the photos you want to display, but not have to worry about spacing. Here's a few like it
2:: Q&A a Day for College from Urban Outfitters 
3:: Vintage file box
4:: Mini desk 
5:: More picture frames
6:: Flowers are always a must for the room just to keep things feeling nice
7:: My polaroid camera  

1:: DIY curtains
2:: wire photo hanger from Target

1:: Mini fridge with magnetic list pad
2:: book collection 
3:: My side of the fridge
2:: My Crosley Cruiser that I personalized by modpodging vintage dress patterns to the inside cover
3:: We added a little shelf so keep my loose leaf teas

So that's basically everything. There's my little dorm room. Let me know if there is anything else you want me to go into detail about, but that's it. Here goes the beginning of my college adventure. 

Julia Carrington


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This looks so cozy, I love it! Good luck adjusting to all the fun and new things in college!

    ReplyDelete